Notes From My First Makeup Gig

December 05, 2014


IMG_0738.JPG

Excitement, anxiety, and pressure... These feelings engulfed me and overlapped each other weeks before my very first major makeup gig. Maan (the bride) booked me and KJ (the maid-of-honor) in the same hotel where they'd stay before the wedding, and that added to my anxiety as to how I would go about bringing my makeup and personal stuff. Being a friend of the bride, I was also a guest in her wedding, so I planned on looking my best as well. Okay, number one, I don't hava a traincase yet. Number two, I don't have a car... How in the world will I bring my stuff and myself to the hotel, to the church, and to the reception venue? I thought I could fit all my stuff in my Mom's Samsonite luggage. I ended up bringing the luggage, my caboodle-like makeup box, and an old gym bag for my personal stuff. I got sick the day before the wedding. To top it all, it rained and the traffic was horrible that night when KJ and I were about to go to the hotel.
My anxiety vanished and thrill crept in when we arrived at Microtel on Commonwealth Avenue. KJ and I were like kids in a playground. I immediately set up my makeup table, we watched our telenovelas and chatted the night away.
We kicked off the morning of D-day with a heavenly buffet breakfast of danggit, longganisa, tocino, eggs, and, of course, coffee! Maan's photographers were set to arrive at 10am. By 8am, the bride came into our room and it's game time.
Okay, so here are my notes from my first gig:
1. I need a traincase
I am still contemplating on whether I’d buy a traincase and a separate vanity mirror, or I’d buy one that has both. I really need to choose wisely for my own sake. Do share your thoughts on this, please.Transporting my stuff and myself were my major issues. Luckily, the father of the bride offered us a ride. Whew!
2. I should make a checklist of the things I need, 
and I mean ONLY the things I REALLY need. I brought so much hair and makeup stuff, afraid of forgetting and missing anything. Well, I still felt that I really needed all of them. It made me feel secure and confident that I have everything ready, which brings me to…
3. I still forgot some things. 
I forgot my bag of lipsticks and scissors. The lippies I had were the only ones in my personal makeup kit. Through quick thinking, I decided not mention this to the bride (not until she gets to read this). I was so lucky to have my pink Maybelline Water Shine Lipstick. The bride loved it. For the maid-of-honor, I used my good ol’ Bloom lippy in Cranberry. I knew I shouldn’t falter. A makeup artist should never falter.
4. I can never have enough bobby pins. 
I ran out of bobby pins, and the maid-of-honor had to make do with a hairstyle that only involves elastics. I did a simple curly ponytail for her, and I added sparkly hair accessories as accents. Thankfully, KJ liked it as well. For the life of me, I swear I’d bring loads of bobby pins next time.
Picture4.jpg
5. I should put on my makeup first.
I knew that the photographer would shoot scenes with the bride having her makeup done, but with the tight schedule, I was only able to put on foundation, blush, mascara and lipstick. I didn’t quite expect that the shoot would involve close up shots and videos of the makeup artist in action. I honestly think that I look horrible in the video which was flashed on a huge screen. I was also wearing half-done makeup as the makeup artist and as a wedding guest, but I just had to strut it! Haha!
     
Picture7.jpg
6. I shall invest on a makeup chair
One that is high enough to save my body from aching. Yes, just like after our trial session, my legs and my back were sore after long hours of bending and standing.
   
Picture6.jpg
   
7. Natural light is the best when doing makeup I opted to open our hotel room’s curtains and use natural light while I did their makeup. Compared to the fluorescent lights that I used for our trial session, this one helped me see my clients’ natural colors and the colors of my makeup vividly, allowing me to match and blend their makeup well.
8. Those generic makeup brushes are actually good
Real Techniques are great makeup brushes. They have become my favorites. But as I was doing Maan’s and KJ’s makeup, I fell in love with my old brushes again. Any makeup brush, for as long as they’re well-made, durable, shaped right, and clean, they’re as good as the expensive ones if you know how to use and take care of them.
9. Take good pictures using a good camera
I know that my portfolio should be as honest and clear as the camera I use. It is best for a makeup artist to take pictures of his/her client before putting on her makeup, while doing her makeup, and, most importantly, after he/she has finished and polished his/her client’s look.
10. I should always have my business cards ready.
I was so focused on doing my first gig right, so when I started hearing oohs and aahs, I knew I was missing something again – my business cards. Will work on that ASAP.
11. I love what I am doing
I worked hard for this gig, but it never felt like work. I realized how and why I wanted this so much. I want to learn more. I want to master this art. I want to put my name in the map of the beauty industry.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Pageviews